Monday, January 30, 2012

Cheese, Soap and the Garden

Ricotta Cheese,
Making Soap and 
the Garden

I did not complete the editorial on the previous blog about our Cheese Making.  I was so enthralled that we actually did it, I was exhausted from the sense of anticipation and achievement.
So, let me fill you in on the gaps:
This is the leftover whey from the Mozzarella.

After we brought the whey to a certain temperature, 
we pour it through two sieves.

This catches the Ricotta. 

Which leaves you with a little, yet tasty, Ricotta.
I put that homemade Ricotta on my toast the next morning and ate
in silent wonderment.
Amazing right?

So now, let's get out of the kitchen (not my favorite place) and head outside (my favorite place).

I drew up some simple plans at 3 a.m. this morning.  Yeah, I have
insomnia from time to time.

 The photo below is totally bogus.  It's not real.  Richard drove in all the stakes.  I'm just posing here.  You see, nothing would have brought me more pleasure than to pound these things in but alas, I cannot.  I hurt my elbow at work and I have to rest it.  
What you can not see is the elbow brace underneath and the Icy Blue ointment underneath the brace.  

('Don't Cry For Me, Argentina' would be a nice touch here)

I just wanted to be captured on film so one day my descendants would see I was really here, a part of this whole process, that I did participate. 

 Again, I would have loved to help Richard carry the compost bin on it's maiden journey out to the yard.  I even tried it one armed but alas, I could not.  So Man-Child, oops, he's not a child any longer, New Man Colson was recruited yet again.  

 "A little to the left, please."

 "Now please, turn it around, face it towards me, a little to the right,...
...yep, that's it!  Perfect!  Thank you so much."

Though I could not pound stakes in the ground nor carry big beautiful wooden bins, I could go around the yard collecting "food" for the bin:   old poop pellets from Buns, plants that didn't make it through the cold weather, newspaper from Bun's cage and that old Thanksgiving decor that I had dumped in the woods.  I'm adding the brown layer.  Tomorrow I add the green layer.
(That's if Richard has recovered from today)
Because, after all I can not push the mower over the liriope or hold the weed wackier.  Not with one hand.  

And then, if all this was not enough, we tried our hand at making soap today!
Started outside due to fumes.

We finished it in our lab.

Another bogus photo.  Since I could not lift the pot of liquid soap, I spooned in a beginning amount to test the soap boxes.
(And to include myself in this momentous occasion.
Can anyone say "Lifestyle Lift?")

There you have it: 10 pounds of Lavender Olive Oil soap.
It's going to set up for 24 hours in these boxes, which are wrapped in towels sitting in the laundry room.
Then we'll slice up our product and cure it for 4-6 weeks.

Poor Richard.  He can't wait until I return to work on Thursday.
He needs a break from all these activities.

Looking for potential guinea pigs to try some soap from Whippoorwill Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment