Monday, February 4, 2013

A Major Whippoorwill Update



I would like to thank some of Whippoorwill's readers for checking on me during the last two months of blog silence.  Thank you for your concern, thoughts and prayers for our family and especially for Colson.  He's doing well in every way.  He's done with chemo.  His lab results are normal.  Now, we're just waiting for his hair to grow back.

Finally, the major update of what's been happening on Whippoorwill Road.  
November:
Thanksgiving Day, our refrigerator went out.  Yep, with a house full of family, it went "Ka-Put".  Though we avoid all shopping on Black Friday, Richard was forced to be part of the frenzy to buy a new fridge.  That very same day, Big Ol' Nasty Dog's right jaw swelled up incredibly.  Again, dropped a lot of money to cure the bacterial infection the vet said he gave to himself from scratching so much.  That dog! (sigh*)

Then came December:
The picture below is Colson at "Wally World", kicking up his heels after the very last chemo treatment.

Then, I took him to see his favorite long anticipated movie.  I think he's seen it three times!

I decided to keep Christmas super simple.  No big decorations this year, no tree.  I even made no-bake cookies with my little niece.  I have to say, it was a no stress holiday.  
  
Though we had no tree, my sister always decorates five!  We celebrated Christmas day at her home.  Nice!


The Saturday after Christmas, my son and his fiancé arrived.  We had a family dinner with them and my husband's brother and his family.

January:
He-Man and I were supposed to go to Las Vegas right after the first of the year.  Instead, we went to... Kentucky! oh well.
We've hired our neighbor, an arborist and landscaper, to replant our back property line.  

My dad got a pacemaker.  We drove him and my mom to a hospital in Atlanta on a very dark and stormy morning.  I'm so glad we could be with them.

This brings us to February:
I hosted a Bridal Shower for my future daughter in law on Saturday.  It came out so beautiful but whew!, I was so stressed over it.  We had furniture stashed in almost every room of the house.  Sofas in the garage, dining chairs in the master, tables in my daughters room, miscellaneous in the laundry room... You can only imagine!

It turned out really wonderful.  I had collected teacups for years when I lived in Massachusetts and I'm a firm believer in using all your treasures now.  So, everyone got a different teacup.  

The little girl in the blue (my cousins daughter), seemed to enjoy it most of all.  She delighted in drinking tea from her special cup.  It was a treasure for me to watch these two little ones pouring tea and feeling very grown up.  


                                                                 
Even Buns enjoyed the company.    

My son has found a gem.  We are thrilled to welcome her into our family.


Yesterday, before the SuperBowl, Colson helped my sister's son do a Power Point presentation for an Anti Smoking assignment.  Then, it was off to my sister's house for the game.  I wasn't invested in the teams so I could relax watching it.    

Ahhh, today has been a pajama recovery day.
Tomorrow it's off to Atlanta to find something for the wedding!
Just a few things that's happened on Whippoorwill Road.
Love, 
Bernadine

12 comments:

  1. glad all is well - even w/ your dad getting a pacemaker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Now I have to catch up on all your beautiful bird photos.

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a WONDERFUL update!! :-D
    Time just FLIES by, doesn't it!?! And you had a busy two months! Congratulations on the Bridal Shower - everything looked beautiful!! When is the wedding? That is SO exciting! I love all the pictures, especially the little girls with their tea! :-)

    I am so happy to see Colson healed up and happy with a little peach fuzz coming in on his head! And helping his cousin....what a treasure he is!

    It is GREAT to hear from you again!!! Happy New Year, dear friend!
    Blessings to you and your sweet family! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, LIsa Diane. Time does fly fast and I know this month will be the fastest. The wedding is next month. Gee, how can I lose 20 lbs, find an outfit that makes me look like size 8 in just 4 weeks? Hmmm... sigh! I've enjoyed looking at everything you're creating.

      Delete
  3. It's great to see you back, and to see that things are working out for you!
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ian. In all the ups and downs of life, I try to remain grateful for all that God has given us.

      Delete
  4. Wow! You have been busier than me, Bernadine. I just love Colson's attitude towards what he has gone through. I hope he continues to get better. Your bridal shower party was just lovely. I know you did a lot of work but it was all worth it and I am sure it was very much appreciated....Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Christine, I want to thank you for your encouragement about Colson from the very beginning. I always enjoy looking at your tablescapes.

      Delete
  5. Gee, is that all? :)

    I need to go have a pajama day just from reading about it. Your plate has definitely been full and it is good to hear your son is recovering well. I thought I was pretty busy, but this just put me back into perspective. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, I know you're just as busy with your new home and garden. I wish you the very best with all your plans and endeavors.

      Delete
  6. Glad to read all the good news in your family after some trying times, Bernadine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Beatrice. By the way, Happy 64th!

    ReplyDelete